The end of the year is near and now begins the time when we look at what we wish to accomplish in the coming year. It is our opportunity to reinvigorate our life and work on becoming better versions of ourselves. Our goals could be anything, they could be based on health, work, family or learning. Accomplishing something we wish is wonderful for our sense of being. It is us taking charge of our life and happiness. If you’ve had the same resolution year after year, it might be time to sit down and really look at the goal. You might need a bit of tweaking. You have the power to accomplish whatever you wish, you just need to believe it and work on it every day!
1) Decide exactly what you want.
Make sure the goal is S.M.A.R.T.
Specific- It is clear what the outcome is.
Measurable- You know when you have accomplished it.
Achievable- It is something you have (or learn) the skills for.
Realistic- It is something you believe you can do.
Timed- There is a clear end date.
2) Write it down in clear, specific, detailed language as if you already achieved the goal. (Example- On December 31, 2017, I weigh 130 lbs and have completed a marathon.)
3) Set a deadline. Set subdeadlines if the goal is large, long term, or complicated.
4) Make a list of everything you can think of doing to achieve your goal.
5) Organize your list into a plan based on priorities and sequence, based on what must come first and then what must be done before something else can be done.
6) Take action on your plan immediately! Don’t delay!
7) Do something every day, no matter how small that moves you toward your goal.